Popular Posts

Monday, October 1, 2012

Yarn in the Kitchen

 Once in a while, I come across something I just have to try.  This time, I couldn't wait to give this a go:  Food Coloring and Yarn!

I can't expand on those directions, as they're terrific, so check out that post.  It took very little time and I loved seeing the colors change.  I waited until all the green got absorbed, then stirred the yarn around a little to find undyed parts, added blue and let the yarn soak it up, then threw in the yellow.  Here's what I ended up with.


This was a great way to get rid of a leftover box of food coloring--and a skein of Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool that I bought a while back (it was half price, and even though I had no clue what to do with it...well, if you're a yarnie, you know how that works).  I have always loved the idea of dyeing my own yarn, but I hate using chemicals and haven't learned enough about natural dyes to do much yet.  This seemed like the perfect medium to work with, since my last attempt (Kool-Aid dyeing) didn't turn out exactly as I would have liked (I think I needed more Kool-Aid and patience that time--I still have the yarn and will probably redo it to make the color more uniform and darker--sometimes, going for variegated doesn't work).

I wonder what this will knit up into?  I hope to find out soon!

Yesterday, I did some yarn inventory, too.  My stash dwindles a bit, but I haven't panicked yet; I have a good bit left and that will likely get me through the winter (two large totes should hold me a while).  I was amazed at how small but heavy a ball one gets from 1600 yards of lace weight (shot put, anyone?!).  I'll have more to say about that later, naturally...once that yarn decides what it wants to be.  :)

Currently, the project design underway is a triangle shawl worked in the round (I know, sounds weird!).  We'll see if and how my charting skills have improved shortly...

Until next time, keep 'em clicking!


No comments:

Post a Comment